It’s becoming apparent to me that if we ever want to fix the many serious problems of this nation, we must elect the President and Congress in a more fair and inclusive way where they actually represent their constituents. The following is a list of what I think are common-sense solutions that would fix federal campaigns and elections so that these elected officials might actually be capable of doing the job that we sent them to do. Please share.
- Election day must be a federal holiday. All states must allow same-day voter registration. † ‡
Every citizen should be encouraged and able to vote.
- No state may hold a party primary earlier than four months before federal elections. ‡
End the constant campaigning.
- All candidates for federal election may take only public financing and individual donations no more than $1000 per candidate per election. †
No more bought politicians.
- Congress will have term limits. Senators may serve no more than three full terms (18 years). Representatives may serve no more than five full terms (ten years). ♦
End the reigns of career politicians.
- Presidents are elected by popular vote, not Electoral College. ♦
No more elections decided by swing states.
- Congressional redistricting must be done by an impartial computer algorithm that only takes population into account and not demographics. ‡ or ♦
† Requires federal law ‡ Requires laws in all states ♦ Requires constitutional amendment