Cursor Lock 2.6 went live yesterday. Funny enough, I didn’t actually need to change anything but the version number in the lock program itself; that code is proving to be very solid. But the setup program seems to need constant fiddling since it actually has a GUI. I’m always trying to make it easier to understand and use.
The biggest change in this version is native support for Windows 7. I achieved this mostly just by switching to Visual Studio 2008 and compiling for .Net 3.5, but it also needed a small amount of UAC tweaks. Another major change is to the context-based help system, which used to be in a big, ugly textbox on the side of the window. Not only was it ugly, but it gave me a limited amount of characters to work with. In the new version, I’ve switched to a tooltip system that is activated by right-clicking on the feature in question.
And the last big change is something I’ve never done in a program before but became increasingly aware of its need after seeing all the hits and comments on Cursor Lock I get from around the world. That’s right, it’s localization, or in layman’s terms translations. I’ve already added a bunch of languages to the installer but have also added support for translations in the setup program. I’m hoping some native speakers will contribute their translations, but I may do some computer-generated ones if not. Full changelog below.
- support for Windows Vista/7 and UAC
- cleaned up help text
- added support for translations
- icons and other UI improvements
- moved context-based help to tooltips
- converted project to .Net 3.5
- logging is now disabled by default
- updated links